North Island Adventure Extension
March 17th- 23rd 2016
This adventure is not to be missed if you are already coming on our Epic New Zealand South Island Tour! ALSO, for those who are not coming on the main trip to the South Island, you are more than welcome to join this extension option only! (ask about reduced rate since no domestic flight needed)
To complete our New Zealand experience come with us to the North Island, a completely different landscape than the South Island, rich in geothermal activity and home to iconic volcanoes such as Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe (filmed in “Lord of the Rings” as Mt. Doom). We’ll spend time in the winterless North region of the Bay of Islands, cruising the beautiful bay in search of marine life and the famous “Hole in the Rock”. Experience & photograph fascinating geothermal activity in Rotorua and be immersed in Maori culture at a traditional village. In just one week, we’ll get to see & photograph a totally different range of landscapes than the South Island.
Don’t forget to check out the main group tour of New Zealand’s South Island!
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the daily itinerary!
* 6 nights / 7 days throughout the best of New Zealand’s North Island
* Private Kiwi guide throughout with extensive knowledge of the North Island!
* Breakfast Everyday
* 2 Dinners (Including Farewell Dinner Celebration)
* Domestic Flight from Christchurch (CHC) → Auckland (AKL) included (*Discounted rate available if only joining North Island program-please inquire)
Matakohe → Bay of Islands → Whangarei: 2 Nights
On arrival at the Auckland International Airport we’ll waste no time and make our way up north via the Hibiscus Coast to see New Zealand’s famous Kauri Forest with massive 1500+ year old trees. Then, at the Bay of Islands a boat cruise to the Hole in the Rock will be awesome for photography. This part of the adventure ends with visits to historical Waitangi and the oldest stone house in NZ. We’ll settle in for the night at the picturesque harbour town of Whangarei.
– Matakohe: Visit the Kauri & Pioneer Museum before exploring the Waipoua Kauri Forest with 1500 year old mighty Kauri trees. Photograph the Tane Mahuta (means “Lord of the Forest”), the largest living Kauri tree estimated to be 2,300 years old!
– “Hole in the Rock” Cruise: Immerse ourselves in a journey around the beautiful Bay of Islands. Search for dolphins & marine life, photograph & cruise under the famous “Hole in the Rock”, and relax on the beach or hike to the top of Urupukapuka Island for 360° views of this beautiful region.
– Historic Waitangi: Tour the treaty grounds where where in 1840, 46 Maori chieftains signed the contract of Waitangi with the British crown which still plays an important role today
– Kerikeri Stone Store and Kemp Mission House: Located in a beautiful setting, these two buildings have survived through turbulent times and our guide will explain some of the interesting history.
Auckland→ Waitomo → Rotorua: 2 Nights
– Auckland: Known as the “City of Sails”, NZ’s largest city boasts a beautiful harbor filled with sail boats. We’ll go on a driving tour through the city and visit the Auckland museum, a great way to discover the country’s history and culture including a memorial to those who sacrificed their lives in wartime.
– Waitomo underground caves: After making our way south through “King Country” we arrive in the small town of Waitomo famous for their mysterious limestone caves filled with glowworms. We’ll explore & photograph this fascinating underground world on a guided walking tour through the spectacular spiral entrance, and marvel at the shawl-like limestone formations, crystal tapestries, and shimmering glow worms.
– Wai O Tapu: Here we’ll feel the “pulse of the earth”, famous for boiling mud pools, exploding geysers, and vibrant colored sulphur pools (yes this place is stinky but so worth it for the photography alone!).
– “Te Puia”: More colourful travertine terraces to photograph here but the highlight will be the Maori cultural experience with an authentic Hangi, or earth oven, feast with dancing and music that’s still a rich part of the Maori tradition today. (Like a New Zealand Luau, except better!)
Taupo → Tongariro National Park → Auckland 2 Nights
– Huka Falls River Cruise: Experience awesome views of Huka Falls (New Zealand’s highest volume waterfall) from a purpose built riverboat. A real New Zealand experience with crystal clear water, birdlife, and native bush lined riverbanks. Great trip for photography!
– Tongariro National Park- After a good night sleep by the enormous crater lake, Lake Taupo, we’ll spend the day in NZ’s oldest and most famous national park. More recently made famous from its role in the Lord of the Ring’s trilogy, the park is based around the three volcanic cones of Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and Ruapehu, and combines excellent hiking with spectacular scenery. An easy-moderate hike will be offered with lots of stops throughout the park for amazing photo opportunities!
* Tour Leader and photographer to help those who want to learn more about using their camera’s, taking better pictures, etc throughout these New Zealand North Island group tours. (PhotoFly Travel Club adventures are laid back when it comes to photography. They are not workshop style based tours and you do not need to be an avid photographer to join. All are welcome!)
* International Airfare is not included. We are happy to help you find a good flight as always!
– Flying into Christchurch (CHC) & Departing from Auckland (AKL) if joining South Island Main Program first).
– Flying into and out of Auckland (AKL) if joining North Island Extension only. (*Discounted rate available if joining North Island program ONLY (since no domestic flight needed)-Please Inquire)
* All Taxes, Fees, & Transfers Included
* This optional NZ North Island extension is an add-on to our New Zealand South Island Adventure! (All are welcome to join this extension option even if not coming on the main South Island trip!)
E-mail us at email@example.com for the daily itinerary!
*For our solo travelers, we will pair you up with someone of the same sex unless single occupancy is requested.
Price: $ 1950.00
Single Supplement: $395.00
*Notice: Payment online incurs 3% processing fee (automatically added to shopping cart). Please mail payment to avoid fee.
*Notice: Payment online incurs 3% processing fee (automatically added to shopping cart). To avoid this fee please mail check to:
Local Planet Travel Services
P.O. Box 1083
Sausalito CA 94965
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
There is a $100.00 administrative fee for all cancellations. Cancellations made 90 days or more prior to trip departure date are fully refundable except for the $100 fee. Cancellations less than 90 days prior to trip departure date will receive no refund of monies paid. No refunds on unused portions of the tour. After airline tickets are issued, airline cancellations are per the airline’s policy and are usually non-refundable and changeable with a fee plus new ticket price. Travel insurance strongly encouraged (ask us about policy options).
*Hotels subject to change based on availability
CST # 2101181-40