South Island Adventure
March 6th-17th 2016
We’ve mastered the islands of Hawaii with our Big Island & Kauai adventures and now it’s time to explore the opposite end of the Polynesian Archipelago: New Zealand! We’ve worked really hard creating this adventure, with the best off the path experiences & must see highlights of New Zealand’s South Island. The South Island IS the adventure isle of the world with rolling green pastures, sandy beaches, the towering Southern Alps mountain range, mirror blue lakes, glaciers, fjords, and so much more. The famed Queenstown has even been coined the “Adrenaline Capital of the World”. On this group adventure we’ll hit so many of these beautiful and diverse places. The amazing photographic opportunities are endless with a myriad of landscapes, climates, and sub-cultures.
Don’t forget to check out our adventure filled New Zealand North Island Adventure Extension!
E-mail us at email@example.com for the daily itinerary!
* 11 nights/12 days throughout the best of New Zealand’s South Island
* Private Kiwi guide throughout who knows New Zealand like no other!
* Breakfast Everyday
* 1 lunch, 3 Dinners (Including Welcome and Farewell Dinner Celebrations)
Christchurch → Kaikoura → Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park: 4 Nights
From the very start we’ll hit the ground running with a night in the “Garden City” of Christchurch, NZ’s South Island capital, before heading up on our first
epic road trip along the gorgeous northeast coast. Our first stop is Kaikoura where we can go whale watching and swim with dolphins! Then on to Nelson, the sunshine capital of NZ. We’ll spend an awesome day in Abel Tasman National Park amongst stunning bush, ocean cliffs, waterfalls, and sandy beaches.
– Explore the earthquake ridden city of Christchurch, still beautiful with parks and interesting street art as major rebuilding is taking place (cool photos to be taken all around)
– Drive up the East Coast arriving in Kaikoura where we’ll have the option of going on a whale watch cruise with a 95% chance of sightings or opportunity to swim with wild dusky dolphins!
– Stop at Ohau Point to encounter juvenile seal pups near a magnificent waterfall!
– Explore Abel Tasman National Park: A boat trip with beach landing takes us to this coastal wonderland where we can relax on the beach or hike along the coastal track through lush forest and over river swing bridges. (Optional kayak tours and other guided hikes available). So many opportunities for stunning photos throughout this day.
Hokitika & Franz Josef Glacier: 2 Nights
– Cross the gorgeous Southern Alps with photo stops en route, arriving in Punakaiki to see and photograph the unique Pancake Rock formations
– Guided walk through the Truman Track in Paparoa National Park (Unspoilt sub-tropical forest, podocarp and rata trees, vines, and nikau palms everywhere)
– Hokitika: Stop for the night at this quaint coastal town on the west coast. (Walk the beach and visit
the many studios in town famous for their jade, or greenstone carvings)
– Franz Josef Glacier: See and photograph this unique glacier, one of only a few in the world that descends into a temperate rain forest. (Guided walking tour
close as possible to the terminal face of the glacier, optional helicopter hikes or scenic heli rides with glacier landings available, end the day relaxing in soothing hot pools fed by natural springs nearby (optional)
Queenstown & Doubtful Sound: 3 Nights
– Lake Matheson: En route to Queenstown we’ll take a short walk along the shores of this beautiful mirror lake (hopefully the water will be still for some cool photographs!)
– Check out Arrowtown nearby, a small village rich in history for its gold mining past (Many original shacks and structures from the gold mining era still stand today)
– Free day to explore Queenstown on your own. A number of optional activities are available including bungy jumping, sky diving, Skyline Gondola, horse back riding, wine tours, ATV tours, and more!
– TSS Earnslaw historic steamship ride to Walter Peak Farm for a kiwi style gourmet BBQ dinner and farm show.
– Off the Path Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise: Many have heard of Milford Sound, but we’re going to the even more stunning, remote, & less touristy Doubtful Sound in Fiordland! (Explore & photograph the gigantic fjords, and if we’re lucky, see fur seals, dusky & bottlenose dolphins, & the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin!)
Lake Tekapo → Christchurch: 2 Nights
– Travel through the middle of the South Island to the MacKenzie area and Lake Tekapo (Amazing views and photographs to be taken of the Southern Alps with the Church of the Good Shepherd in the foreground)
– Super clear skies make Lake Tekapo the best place for star & planet gazing (Optional Mt. John Observatory Astronomy Tour)
– Relax our muscles in the Tekapo Hot Springs under the stars (Optional)
– Visit Mt Cook Village (Photo opps of New Zealand’s tallest mountain and Lake Pukaki with it’s gorgeous turquoise glacier water)
* Tour Leader and photographer to help those who want to learn more about using their camera’s, taking better pictures, etc throughout these New Zealand group tours. (PhotoFly Travel Club adventures are laid back when it comes to photography. They are not workshop style based tours and you do not need to be an avid photographer to join. All are welcome!)
* International Airfare is not included. We are happy to help you find a good flight as always! (Flying into & departing from Christchurch (CHC) (South Island Only) / Flying into Christchurch (CHC) & Departing from Auckland (AKL) if joining North Island Extension)
* All Taxes, Fees, & Transfers Included
* Don’t Forget to check out our once in a lifetime New Zealand North Island Adventure Extension!
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the daily itinerary!
*For our solo travelers, we will pair you up with someone of the same sex unless single occupancy is requested.
Price: $ 2850.00
Single Supplement: $775.00
*Notice: Payment online incurs 3% processing fee (automatically added to shopping cart). Please mail payment to avoid fee.
*Notice: Payment online incurs 3% processing fee (automatically added to shopping cart). To avoid this fee please mail check to:
Local Planet Travel Services
P.O. Box 1083
Sausalito CA 94965
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
There is a $100.00 administrative fee for all cancellations. Cancellations made 90 days or more prior to trip departure date are fully refundable except for the $100 fee. Cancellations less than 90 days prior to trip departure date will receive no refund of monies paid. No refunds on unused portions of the tour. After airline tickets are issued, airline cancellations are per the airline’s policy and are usually non-refundable and changeable with a fee plus new ticket price. Travel insurance strongly encouraged (ask us about policy options).
*Hotels subject to change based on availability
CST # 2101181-40